Monday, March 29, 2010

Revelation

Starting about 3 months ago, it seemed that any time I read the "Ensign" or my scriptures I was bombarded with things about receiving revelation. After a few encounters of this I started wondering what was up. I was confused because I felt that I was doing what I was supposed to be doing (going to grad school) and that I would be in this situation for a while longer. I had no need to receive any personal revelation concerning any big decisions. That didn't stop the influx of information, though.

Then it happened. Someone in my program asked me why I wasn't in the PhD program. I started to think through my answer and couldn't come up with a plausible argument other than I didn't want to spend another 3 years of my life in school. During this time, I was researching some jobs and what requirements were. They would hire people with master's degrees but prefer those with PhDs. Later that week I was attending a devotional on campus. The lady started quoting President Hinckley on why we need to get as much education as we possibly can. So, I started thinking about it over the weekend. I met with my major advisor on Monday and mentioned to her my thoughts. She lit up and said that while she was doing some work on Friday, she had the impression that she needed to mention that she thought I would make a great PhD candidate. So, I considered it some more. I prayed about it. Thought about it even more. Finally, I made the decision to go to school even longer.

Pretty much the next day things started happening that made me question my decision. (Students can be mean!) I decided to think it out a little bit more. Still, messages were coming about revelation. While home last weekend, I asked my brother Bryan for a blessing. We talked a bit about my question before the blessing. During the blessing I was told that I needed to receive all the education that I could throughout my life. Basically it's so I can share the Gospel. Afterwards, Bryan and discussed it a little more. He said that before the blessing he was going to tell me to quit school as quickly as possible (after my master's) and just find a job. He said that Heavenly Father has something else in mind.

Again, pretty much the next day all chaos broke loose, making me rethink my decision. I'm pretty sure this will be an ongoing thing in my life... I need to remember the answers that I have received and go from there rather than questioning everything.

So, here I go!

6 comments:

Steph said...

Sweet! I am so excited for you! You will do great. If you ever need a get-away, you are always welcome at our place. I hope you are well. What are your plans for your bday? I know its a month away...

Kristalyn said...

That's awesome! I'm excited to see what other plans Heavenly Father has for you. :)

nina said...

Wow, that is exciting. I'm like you second guessing myself all the time. Just right down what your feeling right when you feel inspired, so you can keep going back to that.

Mark & Shayla said...

I agree with Nina write it down. Isn't it great that heavenly Father gives us difficult, but managable obstacles before we hit a serious challenge. Good luck!

Linda said...

Do we have a Phd in the family? How cool to be the first ;-D
But even a person with out a Phd would know to stick with your first impressions from the Lord. Satan is the one who puts doubt and questions into our minds. I know you know what the sprit feels like. You should remember and follow it.

Jill Lewis said...

Wow Shawnee! You can do it. Best wishes-you are such an amazing person.