Monday, September 5, 2011

Memories: Labor Day

I think the first time I really heard and understood what Labor Day was when I was in 4th grade. My youngest brother Kirk was born on Labor day 24 years ago. I stayed at Aunt Linda's and Uncle Richard's while my mom was in the hospital. When we got the call the next day about Kirk, I remember I was sitting on their stairs putting on my shoes. When Linda told me it was another boy I thought she was teasing because she knew how much I wanted a sister. When I finally believed her, I cried.

When I got to school I remember my friends and I were confused about the true meaning of Labor Day. At first we thought it was the day that all babies were born. Then we realized that most of our birthdays were in other months so that couldn't be true. I'm sure we still didn't fully understand it after that. (I still don't fully understand it now.)


I would never trade my brother Kirk for a sister. There are been some trying times because of his disabilities, but they have taught me so much.

And to add to the greatness of Labor Day, another family member was born on Labor Day. Weston Kinser Hendershot joined the world today at 3:06 p.m. He was 8 lbs 12 ounces and 20 inches long.


Happy Labor Day!

No comments: