Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My Buddies

Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE being with children. Their hugs, their laughs, their wiggles...everything! (Maybe not the stuff that comes out of their noses or the other end...)

Starting in June I've had the opportunity to begin to work/volunteer at a daycare on campus. The summer was spent in the infant/toddler room. I loved watching them figure things out: how to crawl, how to manipulate objects with their pudgy hands, that naps WILL make them happier. I started working in the 2-3 (young preschool) classroom last week. These little ones keep me on my toes! Talk about energetic. So many questions, with the most obvious one being 'Why'? I love having these little buddies.

It goes without saying that they often notice my least favorite body traits: my zits, which to them are owies; my moles that I have on my arm, neck, and face (What are THOSE?); when I sweat, I use a paper towel to dry my face (I saw one boy try to do the same once).

But most of all, I just love that they accept me even with these yucky faults of mine. They like giving me high-fives. My favorite is when I'm sitting and they come close to hold my hand or they stand between my legs so they can be near me. I know that away from the classroom most of them wouldn't recognize me. But it's comforting to know that I'm their friend for a few hours of each day.

1 comment:

JESS said...

Shawnee, this was so cute. However, I do have an issue with one part of this and that is the "yucky faults". My dear, you do not have yucky faults other than the fact that you don't like Paul Walker. I love and miss you so much.