Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Freshmen

My Biology class had its first test this last week. Last night we met for the first time since the test. Talk about a bunch of whiny freshman! They all 'suggested' that our teacher create a study guide so they can know what will be on each test and what to study. They claimed there was too much imformation to study for the test. Mind you, we had only met 4 times before the test (once a week). Pretty much they were not happy with their scores and were trying to find excuses why they did poorly. I made a comment on how giving a study guide specifically for a test is useless in learning. With a study guide, students don't learn but only memorize for a test. I was almost flogged after class. Okay, not really, but I felt hate stares being thrown at my head. The teacher had to give a lecture on what is required in a class and that if people are only giving the minimum effort, they are going to get a minimum score. I felt a little bad that he had to be giving this lecture, but then I realized that it was a freshman class (a bunch of whiners who haven't realized that college is harder than highschool). I think everyone left a little more humble, realizing that they really didn't put forth their full effort. Hopefully the whining goes down a notch next time. A person can only handle so much!

No comments: