Monday, March 10, 2008

Fried Mealworms Anyone?


In biology lab today, we learned about insects. We disected a grasshopper and then watched termites. (Okay, my lab partner did the disecting, but I watched closely. I'm not that weak.) We also watched a video about how people in many countries eat these yummy insects. So, my teacher said we could earn some extra credit points. She pulled out a cup of mealworms and fried them up. She then seasoned them with buttery salt. Believe it or not, I ate a fried mealworm! (sorry, dad, I know you have a queesy stomach) It wasn't as crispy as I hoped, and I could feel the texture a little too well, but the taste wasn't bad because it has so much seasoning on it. I never thought I would eat a bug on purpose, but I did. It was less than an inch long, so it wasn't too bad. I don't know if I would do it again. The thought of it makes me want to ditch my lunch 6 hours later. But, I earned extra credit. Anything for a grade, right?

3 comments:

nina said...

Go Shawnee, Go Shawnee, Go! Mmmm... sounds good, I was having trouble deciding what to cook for lunch, now I know just what to make.

Kristalyn said...

Ewwwwwww!!! You are definitely braver than I am! You better have gotten a lot of extra credit for that one! Yuck yuck yuck...I am totally impressed!

Ashlie said...

I had the oppurtunity to try one for extra credit but I didn't do it. You are so brave.