Monday, March 7, 2011

Monday Memories: Pie with an Apostle

After graduating from Ricks in 1998, I went to work for the Church in Salt Lake City. While working there, I was able to see a lot of the church leaders walking around. When I had worked there for quite a few months, one of my coworkers won some money by submitting a joke to 'Reader's Digest' and he took us all to lunch at the Lion House. I designated myself as a helper to a lady in the office who had cancer and really wasn't strong enough to carry her own food. As picked out some nice chocolate pie to share. As she was fairly week, we decided to take the elevator to the second level where we would meet up with everyone else. After we got on the elevator, we turned to the front. And in walks Elder Perry (or as I called him when I was younger, Elder Smiley). Of course he was super friendly. He looked over my tray of food and saw the pie. He got a great big smile on his face and said, "Do you have a fork? Your pie looks mighty good." Me, being the nervous 20 year old that I was, stuttered that I had already promised to share the pie with someone else. He just laughed and said it was too bad. Afterward I could have kicked myself. Just chalk it up to my stupidity.

2 comments:

Christine said...

shawnee, I just have to say I love, love, love reading your monday memory posts...thanks for posting them...they mean alot on days that I need them... keep it up.

nina said...

If it makes you feel any better, I probably would have ate the pie before the apostle or the person I had promised it too ;)