Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Monday Memory: The Tree

Doing this Monday memory thing has got me trying to think of memories from my childhood. One memory that kept popping up this week was when my older boy cousins (Hans, Adrin, Kenneth, Richard, and Eli....Eli was younger, but he hung out with us older ones anyway) and I would climb the tree in Anderson's yard, which was next door to Grandma's house. Every Sunday the family would descend upon her house to get together and have fun. The grandchildren often ended up eating pop cycles. One thing us 'older' cousins would do was climb the tree, make Chinese stars with the pop cycle sticks, and throw them at the younger kids. I think one of us would wait at the bottom of the tree so we could grab all the sticks that had been thrown before the younger kids could get them. (We were so mean.)

I remember thinking I was so cool because the boys would let me climb the tree with them. There wasn't a whole lot of room up there, so they had to be picky with who could climb up with them. I also remember learning how to make the Chinese stars that we threw down. (I think back now and there is no way I would make one of those things with slobber from 5 different people on the sticks....you needed 5 sticks in order to make one. GROSS!)

The tree didn't last much longer through our childhood. Anderson's soon cut down the climb-able part of the tree. (Smart on their part, sad on ours.)

No comments: