Sunday, February 6, 2011

Monday Memories: Courageous Parenting

The other night my brother Bryan and I were talking about courageous parenting (he gave a talk on it recently in church). His idea of courageous parenting is to spank the child and send them to their room. (His thought, not mine. Of course I think he was 'sort of' joking.) It got me to thinking about my parents and some of their courageous parenting from my childhood. Here is one example.

When I was pretty young (I would guess 4 or 5), I was playing with my doll under the kitchen table while my mom was sewing. I remember talking to my doll and pretending that she used the Lord's name in vain. I knew that it was wrong to do so, but I didn't know all the reasons why. My mom heard it immediately and asked me what I had said. I told her and she quickly took me into the bathroom and put a bar of soap into my mouth for about 10 seconds. (I can still taste Dial Gold.) She then told me why it wasn't good to use the Lord's name in vain. She really didn't want to put the soap in my mouth, but she couldn't think of another way to help me understand how precious the Lord's name is. To this day, I have never used it in vain again. I have also avoided using Dial Gold.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

What a cute story! :)