Monday, February 28, 2011

Monday Memories: The Rose

The year was 2001. The month, September. There was a crisis in my life. Nothing new. But this crisis was BIG. I had been called to be the Relief Society president of my BYU ward. Problems: I wasn't a student and didn't feel like I was the best one who could relate to these girls; I had never served in leadership in Relief Society before; there were girls who were MUCH more qualified than I to be in this position.

I had actually been extended the call earlier in the summer, but the stress didn't hit until all the girls moved in for fall semester. And the stress really hit. I remember one Sunday in particular: I was a basket case the entire day. That evening I bawled my eyes out. I didn't know many of the guys in the ward, but there was one next door who I had met a few weeks previously (Mike Crockett). I called and asked if he and a roommate could come give me a blessing. That they did. It was the first time I met Matt Bloxham, who became a good friend. After the blessing, they each gave me a hug. I got mascara all over Matt's new Sunday shirt. (Great first impression, eh?)

The stress was still there, unfortunately. (As Pres. Eyring has said, God helps us through the trial, not out of one.) A few days later I received a gorgeous rose at work. The card said something like, "You are wonderful." That's not exactly it, but it made me feel wonderful. There was no name written on the card. I asked around at work and no one claimed to be the sender. My coworker Jewell called the floral shop and asked who sent it. The florist said the sender asked to remain anonymous. My roommates said they didn't send it. Same answer with my counselors and Mike and Matt. I still don't know who sent it.

It hung above my bed that whole school year. I never knew who sent it, but every time I saw it, I remembered that someone was praying for me. And that made all the difference.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

That's a great story! It's always nice to know that some one out there is cheering for you!