Monday, October 3, 2011

Memories: An Angel sent to answer my prayers

For some reason, this memory has been on my mind a lot lately. I think it's because I've been praying to see God's hand in my life more and to show gratitude for the things He blesses me with. I don't often have those huge, miraculous events that would be considered a sign from heaven. Most of my blessings come in small packages. This memory is of the previous kind, so it kind of stick out in my mind as super important.

A few years ago, while still living in Rexburg, I needed surgery. My doctor explained that he would do the type of surgery that only required a small hole in my belly button and another on the lower portion of my stomach. Well, once they got the holes opened, he realized that they would need to cut me open in order to provide the necessary treatment. Needless to say, the surgery wasn't exactly what was planned. My mom was there with me and told me that afterwards I kept asking what had happened. She had to repeatedly tell me that the surgery didn't go as planned. Basically, I'd been cut open like I'd had a c-section. Not bad for one who's expecting it. But I wasn't.

Recovery was long and hard. The air bubbles inside hurt worse than any other pain. My mom was able to stay and take care of me for a few days, but my brother Kirk was having surgery that week, too, so she had to leave before I was ready to fully take care of myself. I had many close friends, so I wasn't too worried. My cousin's fiance, Brad, stopped by often to bring me chocolate milk and to check on me. I also had coworkers who often called.

One night, about a week or so after my surgery, I decided I needed to go grocery shopping. I had been told by the doctor not to lift anything over a certain weight. (I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure it's like 10 lbs or so.) I figured I could walk around the store (good exercise) and get the few items I needed in no time. Well, everything was fine until I went to lift a gallon of milk into my cart. My body didn't like that. In fact, it hurt so bad, I didn't know if I'd be able to get it into my car. I did, but just barely. The whole way home (all of 1 mile) I bawled because I had no idea how I was going to get my groceries out of my car, down the stairs, and into my apartment. I remember pleading with Heavenly Father to send help. To my utter amazement, when I pulled into my parking lot, my good friend Marianne was there to see how I was doing. I remember feeling immense relief. I know that my emotions where high and that I probably could have gotten everything in on my own. I also know that for her it was such a simple thing to do to take in my groceries. I can't explain how grateful I was for her to show up. Who knows what type of prompting she had so that she came. I was just grateful that she listened and that she was willing to serve me.

2 comments:

Jess said...

That is beautiful. I love reading your blog. I miss you.

Kimberly said...

What a sweet story!