Thursday, August 26, 2010

Miles and Motorcylces

Summer is over. Can you hear me sighing? I can't believe it went by so quickly. At the beginning I thought, "What in the heck am I going to do with all of my free time?" I look back and wonder where all that 'free time' was. I guess being lazy was easier than I thought.

I did a calculation of the miles I traveled this summer. The sum? About 6,500. That's right. I could have driven across the US and back with all the driving that I did. Well, I did drive half way across (to MN, IL, and IA) making up 2600 of my miles. I also went to Bryan's house in Gillette about 5 times. It's 400 miles each trip, totaling 2000 miles. I also drove to Logan a few times, each trip about 1000 miles (more when coming from Gillette), for a total of 2000 miles. This doesn't count the trips to Billings (200 miles round trip) or to Cody (100 round trip). So you can see that I was on the road....A LOT this summer.

On one trip from Gillette to Lovell, I decided to count the motorcycles going the opposite way. It was the weekend before the Sturgis rally (Harley Davidson circus), so there were lots. (Gillette is half way between Lovell and Sturgis.) On the 200 mile trip, I counted over 400 motorcycles. That means 2 motorcycles for every mile I traveled that day. NUTS!

On the trip back to Logan, I drove from Gillette and was on I-80 most of the way. As many of you know, I-80 is the road of truckers. They OWN the road. I decided to count how many trucks I passed on I-80. There were over 150 that I passed....they were going the same way as me. If I had counted those on the other side of the freeway, my brain would probably be fried right now...too many.

Anyhow, a summer of traveling is done. I expect that I'll be stuck in Logan until Thanksgiving. That's so sad because Ethan will be 5 months by then, and the little one who'll be born in a few weeks will be so big! Can you hear me sighing again?

No comments: