Monday, May 2, 2011

The Cough of 2011

It began on Saturday, April 16 while taking a nap. I woke up with a tickle in my throat. By that evening it became a full-blown cough. It became so bad that I couldn't talk over the next week without coughing. By the time my mom came the following weekend, I got a sore throat. On my birthday I called to make an appointment with the doctor at the student health center for the next day. The good news about going to the health center is that the doctor visits are free because they're paid through student fees. It was a good thing because the doctor ran a BUNCH of tests. Blood work, a chest x-ray, a breathing treatment, and a shot of antibiotic. He also gave me prescriptions for another antibiotic, a steroid, and a cough suppressant. When I went back after a couple of days, he said my lungs sounded TONS better, even though I still had a cough. They weren't able to pinpoint it to an exact virus, but they said it was something like RSV, whooping cough, or such. I am now on day 16 of the cough. My neck is tight and sore from coughing so much. I can't wait until it's over.

2 comments:

nina said...

I'm sorry, I know it was probably the pits being sick while your mom was here.

Unknown said...

haha! That's hilarious. I'm taking that down as a mental note to try when my kids fight. If I have kids...