Friday, April 29, 2011

My Birthday Weekend

My birthday was this week. On a Monday. Yuck. The worst possible day for a birthday, right? Wrong! When it's on a Monday, you get to celebrate all weekend long. The celebration began on Friday afternoon when my mom got here. She doesn't leave home often, so this was a super-special occasion. That afternoon/evening we toured Logan, USU, went shopping, and had dinner at Texas Roadhouse (one of my favorites). When we got home, we even had time to watch a movie.

At about 2 a.m. on Saturday morning, I woke up because I was scratching my hands really hard. They itched so bad. I put lotion on right away. Didn't help. I then figured it must be an allergic reaction. I searched through my drawers for an antihistamine. Of course I didn't have any. So, I woke up my mom out of a deep sleep. I asked if she had anything. She remembered that she might have put some in her car. So I went out and searched. There it was! I took some and then iced my hands to a numbing point. I felt much better. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep that night.

The next morning we were supposed to go to the temple. Mom sent me back to bed and she went by herself. (Go Mom!) I really slept a long time. I guess that antihistamine really put me out. By the time I woke up, she had been home 2 hours and had gotten some work done. I felt like such a poor host. Oh, I guess I should mention that by Saturday, I had had a cough for a whole week. It took a lot out of me. That afternoon we went down to Lehi to visit some of my cousins (Patricia, Ashlie, Spencer, Lauri Jo and their families/friend). It was a good visit. We were both wiped by the time we got back to Logan, but we still watched a movie.

Sunday morning my mom left. She decided she would leave a day early so that I could rest. My hands were still pretty swollen, although not as itchy as before. I felt bad that she left, but sort of glad that I didn't have to worry about her while I was ill.

Monday came and went uneventfully. I spent the day in bed. I woke up with a sore throat on top of the cough I'd had for a week. I decided to finally make a doctor's appointment for Tuesday. I got a few birthday calls on Monday, which I didn't answer because I had no voice and would have coughed more than talked. I do appreciate all the calls, emails, and messages on Facebook. I have to say it was the most low-key birthday I've ever had.

No comments: