Saturday, April 2, 2011

Montreal: Day one

Wednesday, March 30
3:15 a.m.: wake up
4:00 a.m.: drive to SLC airport with Maegan and her husband
5:30 a.m.: arrive at airport
7:00 a.m.: fly to Detroit
12:30 p.m.: walk through the Detroit airport (which Maegan and I decided we didn't like very much)
1:45 p.m.: fly to Montreal
4:00 p.m.: arrive in Montreal, go through customs (customs agents are super nice on the way into Canada)
4:30 p.m.: exchange money, take taxi to hotel
5ish: arrive at hotel, Le Square Phillips
5:30ish: go site seeing around Old Montreal

I'm not sure exactly what some of the buildings were that we saw. There were so many churches and buildings with amazing architecture. I could walk around forever looking at the buildings. It's amazing how many types of structures there are all on the same block. It's like they were built in different eras.


This is me by the St. Laurence (sp?) river. You can sort of see a clock tower behind me. To the left of it there was a beautiful bridge that goes across the river.

This is the Notre Dame cathedral that was only a few blocks from the conference. It was beautiful. Maegan later took a tour, but I didn't have time for it.

Maegan and I in front of a funky structure. Art seems to be a big thing here...between statues, the buildings, and art stores, my eyes have had a feast. (There have been quite a few nudes to see, which my eyes have NOT feasted on, thank you very much.)

Maegan and I walked around for a couple of hours amazed at all there is to see. We tried to find a place to eat on the way back to our hotel. There are so many eateries here...from French to Italian to steak to Chinese to anything. One thing that I really love about Montreal is that the restaurants all post their menu outside so passer-bys can look to see if they are truly interested or not. We ended up eating Italian at a place connected to our hotel. Super yummy. I'm not too fond of the prices of food in the city, but the food has been outstanding. (More on that in later posts.)

2 comments:

Montana Wilkins said...

Wow, that looks like a lot of fun! I think I'd like to see the Notre Dame cathedral in Montreal almost as much as the one in France!
Why did you get the opportunity to go to Montreal? Is this for something school related or just for funsies? Have a wonderful time no matter why!
Janet

Suzette said...

Looks like a great place to visit.