Saturday, April 9, 2011

Montreal, Day 3

Friday, April 1
6:30 a.m.: Wake up
7:30 a.m.: Eat breakfast at a crepe place just a block from us (AMAZING crepes). I had apple filling in mine. It was like eating pie for breakfast.
8:30 a.m.: Attend 3 sessions of the conference
2:30 p.m.: Hobble back to the hotel on extremely sore feet and take a nap
5:3o p.m.: Meet up with 'the numbers people' for dinner at a Thai restaraunt in China Town. (These are the people who do research into math and child development. Very interesting dinner. I mostly listened to them all comisserate on how difficult it has been to get published in this area. Kind of made me nervous about my future in this area of research. Hopefully it will change.)
7:30 p.m.: Get on the bus with Belinda to head to a SRHD wine and cheese (paid $5.50 for a glass of Diet Pepsi)
9:00 p.m.: Get in a taxi for a 4 block ride back to my hotel (yes, my feet hurt that bad)
11:00 p.m.: Go to bed

This is a picture of China Town. It was raining at the time. I loved all the lights (which you can't really see in the picture).

The Thai place wasn't as good as the Chinese we had eaten the previous night. Being the conservative eater that I am, I got the most boring meal I could find on the menu: beef and veggies. There were still plenty of veggies I didn't recognize in the dish. Belinda and I had to leave early for another meeting. We had already been at the restaurant for over an hour and the waiter seemed surprised that we would leave that quickly. (As I mentioned before, it seems eating out is an all-night experience.) I wish I could have had more time exploring China Town. But with the time constraints and the icky weather, there was no way I would do it on my own that night.

Another observation about Montreal: for the majority, it seemed that everyone drove VERY nice cars. We saw Audis, Mercedes, and all sorts of others everywhere. Hardly a Ford in sight. And the cabs were all normal cars with cab signs on top. None of them were yellow. Just normal cars. Most of them, ironically, were Fords.

No comments: