Friday, April 22, 2011

Memory: The Easter Bunny lives next door?

Growing up, my next door neighbors owned a local grocery store. They used to do all sorts of fun things for the holidays. There was one Easter where Carol dressed up as the Easter Bunny. I remember being outside in my pretty Easter dress and hat and seeing something white and big. I ran to the front side walk to see what it was. I saw an Easter bunny with a normal person's head. I was still at the age where I believed in all of the fairy tale characters and was so confused. I yelled to my parents that I just saw the Easter Bunny. I remember it (Carol) running inside. By the time my parents came over with their camera, the bunny had its 'regular' head, a big, white, furry one. I was still soooo confused. I knew that it was Carol inside, but it looked so real. The neighbors played it up saying that it was definitely the real Easter Bunny. I think it was at this time that I realized that grown ups often have more fun at holidays than children because of all they get to do, like dress up. My parents got a picture of me and one of my brothers holding the hands of the 'Easter Bunny'.

Another year, the same neighbors 'hid' a bunch of eggs in their yard for us to find. They also invited our cousins. Their back yard was covered with Mayes kids running all over for candy. I miss Bob and Carol, who moved a few years back. They had such a sense for the fun.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I miss them too. Nice story.