Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Another Day, and a BIG Headache

I woke up today with a headache. Not a great way to start, especially when I knew I would be in class until 8 p.m. I headed to the institute building to study...which wasn't very productive cause my head hurt too much to focus. I mostly stared at the pages.

I had my first class today. It's about educating young children and their development. I think I'm really going to enjoy it. It's not too much work, but it still will keep me busy with reading. The teacher called me an "overachiever" because I had already gone to the library to get some articles for next week....she has them on reserve so I could have done it from home. Wish I would have known that yesterday. ;)

I had my Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith class tonight. I think it's going to be good. I took it at BYU, but a different teacher always brings new insights.

Here is a little story that I found in a book called "Reclaiming Childhood" by William Crain. The book is about how we often push children too hard, too quickly to grow up. It's in the chapter about children being dramatists:

"One New York City mother and father spent a year getting their four-year-old daughter ready for the intelligence test required for admission to many prestigious kindergartens. But when the test examiner asked the child her name, she said, "Amanda," the name of their cat. Then, to every question the examiner asked, the child simply responded, "Meow."" (pg. 34)

I laughed so hard after reading this. It was a great story!

3 comments:

Geraldine said...

Great story. They are so fun

Kathy said...

Oh, my love, how I envy you !!!
Please take advantage of every opportunity (i.e., choir, symphony, ballet, plays, museums, firesides, early morning walks, library time, etc.) Do it for me !!! I wish I were your age again and going back to college too. You never know if Mr. Right will be right-around-the-corner.
Hugs...

Linda said...

May I just say Arff, Arff ;-)